The great Sage Hillel tells us to: "Be a student of Aaron: love peace and pursue peace." (Pirkei Avos 1:11)
When you love someone or something, the object of your love is a high priority for you. In the Torah we read how Jacob was willing to work seven full years in order to marry Rachel whom he loved. The Torah tells us that these seven years were considered as just a few day in his eyes. Imagine loving peace to this same extent.
When you've integrated a love for peace, you will be willing to put in much energy and effort to attain it. You might have to make sacrifices. These sacrifices come in many forms. When love is a motivating factor, you are more likely to make the necessary sacrifices. Note my cute picture about finding someone to help unpack your baggage below
Love Yehuda Lave
Old City Ramparts Walls Passover 2016
On Passover 2nd day we ascent to the walls of the old city go to Damascus gate and see Zedekiah's cave
LITTLE KNOWN JEWISH STUFF--I can't verify all of this but it looks interesting 49 little know facts leading up to the 49 days of the count to Shavout
1) The Roosevelts were Dutch Jews who arrived in NYC in 1682. ClaesRosenvelt before he changed his name to Nicholas Roosevelt, was the firstRoosevelt ancestor to set foot in America, and Sarah Delano, FDR's mother,descended from Sephardic Jews
.2) Joseph Stalin was originally named Joseph David Djugashvili (translatedas: "son of a Jew".) All 3 of the women that he married were Jewish.
3) Dwight Eisenhower's father was a Swedish Jew, and listed in West Point'sYearbook of 1915.
4) Lillian Friedman, a Jewish woman, married Cruz Rivera. They named theirbaby Geraldo Miguel Rivera (it doesn't sound Jewish), but according toJewish Law, anyone born to a Jewish mother is Jewish. Thus, Geraldo Riverais Jewish
.5) Fiorello Laguardia, famous former mayor of New York City, whose mother'sname was Jacobson. His father was not Jewish. Laguardia spoke sevenlanguages fluently, including Hebrew and Yiddish.
6) Winston Churchill whose mother's name was Jenny Jerome, a Jew.
7) Cary Grant, whose mother, Elsie, was Jewish. His father, Elias Leach, wasnot. Grant's original name was Archibald Alexander Leach; (Robin Leach ishis first cousin)
.8) Peter Sellers' mother, Margaret Marks, was Jewish. His father, BillSellers, was not. Peter's real name is Richard Henry Sellers.
9) David Bowie's mother is Jewish, his father is not. One of Bowie's albumsdiscusses his Jewish ancestry. His real name: David Stenton Haywood Jones.
10) Robert DeNiro's mother is Jewish.
11) Shari Belafonte's mother is Jewish. Her father, Harry's grandfather is aJew.
12) Olivia Newton John's grandfather, a Jew, was a Nobel Prize winningphysicist.
13) Harrison Ford's mother is a Russian Jew, his father is Irish Catholic.
14) The first theater to be used solely for the showing of motion pictureswas built by a Jew Adolf Zukor.
15) The first full-length sound picture, The Jazz Singer was produced byJews, Samuel L. Goldwyn & Louis B. Mayer (MGM).
16) A Jew, Dr. Abraham Waksman, coined the term antibiotics.
17) A Polish Jew, Casimir Funk, who pioneered a new field of medicalresearch, gave us a common word -- vitamins.
18) The first successful operation for appendicitis was performed by aJewish surgeon, Dr. Simon Baruch.
19) Dr.. Abraham Jacobi hailed as America's father of Pediatrics, is a Jew
.20) Until a Jewish doctor, Dr.. Siccary proved it differently, peoplebelieved that tomato was poisonous.
21) A Jew, Levi Strauss, is the inventor/originator of jeans & Levis, thelargest clothing retailer in the world.
22) In 1909, four Jews were among the 60 multi-cultural signers of theCall to the National Action, which resulted in the creation of the NAACP.
23) A Jew, Emile Berliner, is the man who developed the modern dayphonograph.While Thomas Edison was working out a type of phonograph that used acylinder as a record, Berliner invented a machine that would play a disc.The machine he patented was called the gramophone, and the famous RCAtrademark is a picture of a dog listening to "his master's voice" onBerliner's device. The gramophone was superior to Edison's machine. Inshort, Emile Berliner made possible the modern record industry. His companywas eventually absorbed by the Victor Talking Machine Company, now known asRCA.
24) A Jew, Louis B. Mayer (co-founder of MGM), created the idea for theOscar.
25) European Jews are the founding fathers of all the Hollywood Studios
.26) Jews comprise a mere 1/4 of 1% (13 million) of the world's population(of over 6 billion), and while 99% of the world is non-Jewish, 72% ofPulitzer Prize winners are Jews.
27) Three of greatest & most influential thinkers dominating the 20thCentury are Jews - Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud, and Karl Marx.
28) The most popular selling Christmas song "White Christmas" was writtenby a Jew, Irving Berlin.
29) Of the 660 Nobel prizes from 1901 - 1990, 160 have been awarded toJews. More Jews have won more Nobel prizes than any other ethnicity. Theyhave won 40x more than should be expected of them based upon their smallpopulation numbers.
30) A Jew, Dr. Jonas Salk, is the creator of the first polio vaccine.
31) Hayam Solomon & Isaac Moses, both Jews, are responsible for creatingthe first modern banking institutions.
32) Jews created the first department stores in America in the nineteenthcentury.The Altmans, Gimbels, Kaufmanns, Lazaruses, Magnins, Mays, Strausses becameleaders of major department stores.Julius Rosenwald revolutionized the way Americans purchased goods byimproving Sears Roebuck's mail order merchandising.Hart, Schaffner, Marx, Kuppenheimer and Levi Strauss became household namesin men's clothing.
33) Marc Chagall (originally Segal) a Russia Jew, is one of the great 20thcentury painters.
34) The fortune(s) of English Jews -- Isaac Goldsmid, Nathan Rothschild,David Salomons, and Moses Montefiore -- helped England become a worldempire
.35) In 1918, Detroit, a Jew, Max Goldberg, opened the "first" commercialparking lot.
36) In 1910, a Jew, Louis Blaustein, and his son opened the "first" gasstation, eventually founding the American Oil Company (AMOCO). TheBlausteins became one of the richest oil families in the world.
37) A Jew, Dr. Albert Sabin, developed the first oral polio vaccine
.38) A Jew, Steven Spielberg, is the most successful filmmaker since theadvent of film.
39) A Jew, Emma Lazarus, wrote the famous poem, ´The New Colossus" whichis inscribed on the Statue Of Liberty
.40) A Jew, Harry Houdini (Weiss) is the father of magic and illusion.
41) Abraham, is the father of the Jews and Arabs, and from whom theworld's 3 major religions: Judaism, Christianity & Islam originated
.42) Jews are the oldest of any people on earth who have kept their nationalidentity and cultural heritage intact
.43) George & Ira Gershwin and Irving Berlin, all Jews, are three of the mostprolific composers of the 20th century.
44) Isadore & Nathan Straus, who are both Jews - "Abraham & Straus,"eventually became sole owners of Macy's, the world's largest departmentstore, in 1896.
45) Dr. Paul Ehrlich, a Jewish physician, was awarded the Nobel Prize in1908 for finding the cure for syphilis.
46) Armand Hammer, a Jew, of "Arm & Hammer" fame. a physician &businessman originated the largest trade between U. S. and Russia.
47) Louis Santanel, a Jew, was the financier who provided the funds forColumbus ' voyage to the New World (America).
48) Sherry Lansing, a Jew, became the first woman to become president of amajor Hollywood studio, Paramount Pictures.
49) Flo Zigfield, a Jew, of "Ziegfield Follies" fame, is the creator ofAmerican burlesque.
The birth of an island in the Pacific--see pictures on Snoopes
Snoopes claims it is true and it shows the pictures on this site:
See the pictures there
Amazing they got to see this!!!When This Boat Crew Realized What They Were Seeing,It Was Almost Too Late To Escape!We don't really think about it on a daily basis, but the Earth is still changing all the time. It just happens so slowly that we can't really perceive it. But every now and then, things speed up… a lot.Recently, the crew of the Maiken was enjoying a leisurely sail through the South Pacific when they spotted a strange discoloration on the water. They moved in closer to inspect it, but by the time they realized what it was, it was too late.The crew of the Maiken was sailing the South Pacific when they spotted an unusual shadowAs they got closer, what they had taken to be a sandbar revealed itself to be something else entirely.A huge amount of pumice stone was floating to the surface of the water. It looked like a beach. They decided to get a closer look and redirected their yacht towards it.It looks like a beach in the middle of the ocean!The crew decided to sail through it, leaving a break in the stone behind them as they went.They wondered what could have caused this expanse of stone to suddenly appear.The field of pumice was getting even larger as they passed through it. The crew had an uneasy feeling and upped their speed.Once they were a safe distance away, they heard a faint rumbling. Looking back they saw water bubbling from the surface.The source of the pumice stone was an underwater volcano that was actually erupting at the time!They anchored to watch this tremendous event. Massive plumes of smoke filled the sky.As the smoke cleared, they noticed something strange just at the water's surface…It was land!The stunned crew couldn't believe what they were seeing: It was the actual birth of a new island.They sailed a little bit closer to see if their eyes were playing tricks on them.But it was real. The peaks of this new land mass were already taking form.It was one of the rarest events imaginable!!!They were able to witness such an impossible sight… and also they apparently very narrowly escaped with their lives!