Thursday, August 2, 2018

Why Did G-d Give Me More Time to Live? By Linda Goldberg

Can't see images? Click here...

Yehuda Lave, Spiritual Advisor and Counselor

All of us - I hope - are aware of our numerous shortcomings. (If not, then that lack of humility and honesty are the worst shortcomings!)

So now what do we do with this awareness that we are disorganized, overly passive, lacking self-discipline, filled with bitterness or overly controlling, etc.?

Decide to make one very small change in your daily behavior - some act which takes only a minute or two - which announces to the universe, "I WANT TO GROW! HELP ME IMPROVE!"

Love Yehuda Lave

Over every single blade of grass, there is a heavenly force that whispers to it and commands, "Grow!" (Bereishis Rabbah 10:7).

Every living thing in the world has potential, and it is the Divine will that everything achieve its maximum potential. We think of humans as the only beings that have a yetzer hara which causes them to resist growth. Certainly animals and plants, which do not have a yetzer hara, should achieve their maximum potential quite easily.

Not so, says the Midrash. Even plants, and in fact all living matter, have an inherent "laziness," a tendency towards inertia. Even the lowly blade of grass needs to be stimulated and urged to grow.

We can see from here that a human being thus has two inhibiting forces to overcome in order to achieve growth: (1) the yetzer hara, which is unique to us, and (2) the force of inertia, which is common to all matter.

The Tanya postulates the existence of absolutely righteous people who have totally eliminated the yetzer hara from within themselves. We may ask, in the absence of even a vestige of yetzer hara, how can they grow? The answer may be that they strive to overcome the inertia that is inherent in all matter, including themselves.

If a lowly blade of grass has both a tendency towards inertia and a spiritual "mentor" which demands that it fulfill itself, we human beings, with two adversaries, certainly have even more powerful forces urging us to achieve our full potential. We should be aware of what can hamper our achievement and make the effort to overcome it.

Today I shall ...
bear in mind that there are numerous obstacles to spiritual growth, and that I must try to triumph over them.

Lee van cleef on Johnny Carson

Lee Van Cleef in his only interview with Johnny Carson. Sadly, Lee passed away within months following this interview.

Born Clarence LeRoy Van Cleef, Jr.
January 9, 1925
Somerville, New Jersey, United States Died December 16, 1989 (aged 64)
Oxnard, California, United States Cause of death Heart attack and throat cancer Resting place Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills) Occupation Actor Years active 1952–1989 Military career Allegiance  United States Service/branch  United States Navy Years of service 1942–1946[1] Rank Sonarman First Class (S01) Battles/wars World War II

The Inconvenient Truth About the Republican Party

Important to know

Can you spell eucalyptus

This 911 call raised some eyebrows

Why Did G-d Give Me More Time to Live? By Linda Goldberg

After I had my pacemaker operation, how to get through every day was uppermost in my mind.

Since I am a widow and live alone, the nights were always most challenging, especially when I wondered if I was ever going to get better.

"You would not do well without the operation," the doctor had said. But why do I have to endure such pain and disability? For what reason had G‑d given me more time?

At the hospital,

Why do I have to endure such pain and disability?after trying to eat my tasteless breakfast that had no aroma, the nurse said: "Of course, you won't be able to get yourself dressed or put on your shoes."

 

For the next three months, if I moved my left arm the wrong way, the pacemaker could move. That would not be good.

Once home, I needed help to get my breakfast, shower and get dressed. I didn't even try to wear shoes. I realized that I would be challenged even opening the door if an emergency arose, but I did not tell my children lest they worry more.

Waking up in the morning and getting out of bed to face the day was difficult, to say the least. I needed help to do laundry, the cooking, the shopping. As for getting the mail, not only did I have to go downstairs and open the heavy door, I would have to reach into the mailbox. Not doable. But I still had to pay the bills.

I called my handy man, who told me, "I put in banisters on staircases every day. I'll be right over." After he installed the banister, I could hold on for dear life as I went down the stairs to open the front door.

A member of my family or a friend checked on me every day, bringing in the mail, bringing groceries, or best of all, bringing cooked kosher food. My sister who came often also had difficulties bending and doing common tasks, but she had managed to hide them from me. I thanked everyone and told them how much each good deed, which may have seemed small to them, loomed large in my mind.

The first time I went out of the house was to visit my doctor. I sat and watched the other patients. One elderly man had his arm around an elderly woman who I assumed was his wife. I had to control myself not to cry.

I remembered bringing my mother to the doctor. Mom was wearing her wig, her flowered sweaters and tie shoes; she always helped people. Even when she was in a walker, she would help a lady in a wheelchair and say, "That lady should not have been allowed out alone." Maybe I should learn from her example, instead of dwelling only on my own problems and disabilities.

Mom spent her life taking care of her mother and mother in-law, her husband and children, and any stranger who happened along.

But maybe I, too, already did that. After all, I took care

Putting on a smile can be the greatest gift of my parents, my children and still help take care of my grandchildren. I taught my children to take care of their children, plus help take care of me. My daughter, wearing her hat and her sneakers, sits beside me in the waiting room.

 

After seeing the doctor, who was pleased with my progress, my daughter said: "Aren't you happy now that you had the operation?" She smiled. Putting on a smile can be the greatest gift to both give and receive.

I give praise to my children when they call to check up on me. I know I can call them anytime, even in the middle of the night for help. I thank my sister every time she comes by with food or just to sit and talk.

I live every day for the moment when I can help someone else, even if it's only with a smile or a kind word. I try to do an act of kindness every day for someone less fortunate. I keep a list of my daily acts of kindness or any good deed.

Now I know what I live for, and why G‑d gave me more time.



By Linda Goldberg    More by this author
Linda Goldberg lives in Natick, Mass., where she belongs to the Chabad Center. She founded The Metro West Writers' Workshop and led it for 17 years. She is blessed with four grandsons.

See you tomorrow

Love Yehuda Lave

Rabbi Yehuda Lave

Your mailing address

Contact Phone

Website

LIKE TWEET FORWARD

You received this email because you signed up on our website or made purchase from us.

Unsubscribe