Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Think Test and a Hanukah story

A friend of mine told me that as he grows older he experiences a personal miracle on Hanukah. He eats one potato latka (fried potato pancake) - and it burns in his stomach for eight days.

I share with you this story about Hanukah - my Hanukah gift to you!

I heard the following story years ago when I lived in Israel and to the best of my knowledge it is true. Before the USSR let the Jews leave for Israel, Jews used to hire a guide to smuggle them out of Russia. One Hanukah a group of Jews were playing "cat and mouse" with a Soviet army patrol as they approached the border. When the guide thought they had lost the patrol, he announced an half-hour break before continuing the trek. One of the escapees, hearing the "magic" number of "one-half hour" - the minimum time a Hanukah candle must be lit to fulfill the mitzvah - pulls out his menorah, sets up the candles, says the blessing and starts to light the candles. The other escapees immediately pounce upon him and the menorah to put out the candles - just as the Soviet patrol moves in and completely encircles them!

The head of the army patrol speaks: "We were just about to open fire and wipe you out when I saw that man lighting the Hanukah candles. I was overcome with emotion; I remember my zaideh (grandfather) lighting Hanukah candles .... I have decided to let you go in peace."

.

If truth is stranger than fiction, it is because it has a better Author...

Subject: Fw: Think Test


A good test to see how aware you are of your surroundings...


 
Using Statistics means you never have to say you are wrong... 




 
Think Test. Give it a try....


CLICK ON THE BELOW LINK AND TAKE THE TEST. THE NORMAL RATE IS 7 OUT OF 25.


A Think Test This is fun